Biology Textbook - Biology Matters
Biology Matters textbook is written in alignment with the latest GCE Ordinary Level Biology syllabus requirements stipulated by the Ministry of Education, Singapore. Designed for effective concept development and reinforcement, this textbook presents Biology in an engaging and effective manner through the use of stunning visuals and real-life examples. The textbook also aims to equip students with the necessary knowledge and 21st century competencies for their journey of lifelong learning.
Easy and enjoyable learning
- Relevant chapter openers contain attractive photos that capture students’ interest and spark off the inquiry process.
- Infographics and stepwise presentation help students break down abstract concepts into bite-sized ideas.
Promotes learning with understanding and hones critical thinking skills
- Inquiry questions encourage students to dive deeper into the content.
- Hands-on activities enable experiential learning that strengthens conceptual understanding.
- Links between chapters ,end-of-chapter concept maps and end-of-book concept maps highlight interrelated concepts.
- Regular test questions prompt immediate checks on level of understanding,hence providing opportunities for better assessment for learning.
- Ample practice questions, including challenging and data-based questions, nurture higher-order thinking skills and agile minds that are able to apply concepts on novel situations.
Develops 21st century competencies
- A diagnostic checklist for every chapter surfaces flaws in conceptual understanding and promotes self-directed learning by guiding students to the relevant sections for revision.
- Group and online learning activities that require students to evaluate, process and communicate information help to foster independent learning and ICT skills,and build interpersonal and collaborative skills.
- Challenging practice questions at the end of each chapter guide students in answering questions to build examination confidence.
Above extract from Preface of Biology Matters Textbook (reproduced with the permission of the publishers).
Chapter 1 The Science of Life
THEME I PRINCIPLES OF BIOLOGY
Chapter 2 Cells
Chapter 3 Movement of Substances
Chapter 4 Nutrients
Chapter 5 Enzymes
THEME II MAINTENANCE AND REGULATION OF LIFE PROCESSES
Chapter 6 Nutrition in Humans
Chapter 7 Nutrition in Plants
Chapter 8 Transport in Humans
Chapter 9 Transport in Plants
Chapter 10 Respiration in Humans
Chapter 11 Excretion in Humans
Chapter 12 Homeostasis
Chapter 13 The Nervous System
Chapter 14 The Human Eye
Chapter 15 Hormones
THEME III CONTINUITY OF LIFE
Chapter 16 Cell Division
Chapter 17 Reproduction in Plants
Chapter 18 Reproduction in Humans
Chapter 19 Heredity
Chapter 20 Molecular Genetics
THEME IV MAN AND HIS ENVIRONMENT
Chapter 21 Ecology
Chapter 22 Our Impact on the Ecosystem