This 4 week unit utilizes literature, whole group activities, independent practice, interactive notebooks, and PowerPoint slide shows to teach the economic concepts of wants and needs, goods and services, saving and spending, and making choices.
This unit includes:
- 17 colorful instructional posters
- 17 pages of worksheets
- 6 whole group or center work activities
- 5 pages of interactive notebook/bulletin board activities
- 4 book activities
- PowerPoint slide shows of each poster broken down so that you can move slowly through each concept, giving students time to understand ideas, answer questions on the posters, and ask their own questions.
The following standards are addressed throughout the unit.
- Distinguish people as producers and consumers
- Recognize that money is a method of exchanging goods and services
- Give examples of products (goods) that people buy and use.
- Give examples of services that people do for each other
- Identify examples of goods and services in the home, school, and community
- Identify examples of wants and needs
- Identify that people need to make choices because of limited resources
- Identify examples of people wanting to buy more than they can have
- Define cost as giving up one thing for another
- Explain that people wanting more than they can have requires making choices
- and more!