Chemistry Matters Textbook
Chemistry Matters textbook is written in alignment with the latest GCE Ordinary Level Chemistry syllabus by the Ministry of Education, Singapore. Designed for effective concept development and reinforcement, this textbook presents Chemistry in an engaging and effective manner through the use of infographics, graphic organisers and real-life examples. The textbook also aims to equip students with the necessary knowledge and 21st century competencies for their journey of lifelong learning.
Makes Chemistry engaging, clear and simple
- Captivating chapter openers with attractive photos and though-provoking questions spark off the inquiry process.
- Concepts presented within authentic contexts make Physics relevant, useful and interesting.
- Step-wise presentations with infographics and flow charts break down difficult concepts into easy-to-understand bites.
- Illustrations and photographs and visualisation of abstract concepts. Links to online animations and videos provides dynamic visual learning support.
Promotes learning with understanding and hones critical thinking
- Hands-on activities enable the experiential learning that strengthens conceptual understanding.
- Links between chapters and end-of-chapter concept maps highlight interconnected concepts.
- Worked examples guide students on how to apply concepts.
- Regular test questions prompt immediate checks on understanding, providing opportunities for assessment for learning.
- Ample practice questions, including challenging and data-based questions, nurture higher-order thinking skills and agile minds that are able to apply concepts on novel situations.
Develops 21st century competencies
- A diagnostic checklist for every chapter surfaces flaws in conceptual understanding and promotes self-directed learning by guiding students to the relevant sections for revision.
- Group and online learning activities that require students to evaluate, process and communicate information, foster independent learning, problem-solving, ICT, interpersonal and collaborative skills.
The Periodic Table of Elements
Chapter 1 Kinetic Particle Theory
Chapter 2 Measurement and Experimental Techniques
Chapter 3 Separation and Purification
Chapter 4 Elements, Compounds and Mixtures
Chapter 5 Atomic Structure
Chapter 6 Ionic Bonding
Chapter 7 Covalent and Metallic Bonding
Chapter 8 Writing Chemical Equations
Chapter 9 The Mole
Chapter 10 Chemical Calculations
Chapter 11 Acids and Bases
Chapter 12 Salts
Chapter 13 Oxidation and Reduction
Chapter 14 Metals
Chapter 15 Electrolysis
Chapter 16 The Periodic Table
Chapter 17 Energy Changes
Chapter 18 Speed of Reaction
Chapter 19 Ammonia
Chapter 20 The Atmosphere and Environment
Chapter 21 An Introduction to Organic Chemistry
Chapter 22 Alkanes and Alkenes
Chapter 23 Alcohols and Carboxylic Acids
Chapter 24 Macromolecules
Quick Revision Guide