Increase vocabulary to improve writing, reading, and speaking skills
Improve student vocabulary through active exploration of words and their meanings. This high-interest, research-based series meets state vocabulary standards, which involve vocabulary acquisition as well as vocabulary concept development. Each level has the same structure with the words and activities increasing slightly in difficulty. Ideal for middle school or students reading below grade level in high school and beyond. 235–246 pages.
- Chapter openers engage students in the lesson and chapter objectives help focus instruction.
- A warm-up activity accesses prior knowledge of the chapter topic.Students make word-to-world connections in meaningful ways.
- Minilessons provide brief, clear instruction on essential topics including adding Greek and Latin word parts, connotations and denotations, using context clues, figurative and literal uses of words, and more.
- Each book contains 33 lists of useful academic and everyday words. The lists give the phonetic respelling, part of speech, and definition of each word and provide sample sentences.
- Independent or partner reinforcement activities support reading, writing, and speaking skills.
- Chapter review exercises can be used as a review or an informal assessment and are ideal standardized test practice.
- A glossary contains words from all the word lists, plus their parts of speech, pronunciations, and definitions.
Teacher Resource CDIncludes a Teacher’s Guide with reproducible handouts and index cards, a test bank, and an answer key.