Physics Matters Textbook
Physics Matters textbook is written in line with the 2013 GCE Ordinary Level Physics syllabus from the Ministry of Education, Singapore. Designed for effective concept development and reinforcement, this textbook presents Physics in an engaging manner through the use of infographics, graphic organisers and real-life examples. The textbook also aims to equip students with the necessary knowledge and 21st century competencies for their journey of lifelong learning.
Physics made simple and yet interesting
- Captivating chapter openers with attractive photos and though-provoking questions spark off the inquiry process.
- Concepts presented within authentic contexts make Physics relevant, useful and interesting.
- Step-wise presentations with infographics and flow charts break down difficult concepts into easy-to-understand bites.
- Illustrations and photographs and visualisation of abstract concepts. Links to online animations and videos provides dynamic visual learning support.
Promotes learning with understanding and hones critical thinking
- Engaging hands-on activities enable the experiential learning that strengthens conceptual understanding.
- Links between chapters and end-of-chapter concept maps highlight interconnected concepts.
- Worked examples guide students on how to apply concepts.
- Regular test questions prompt immediate checks on understanding, providing opportunities for assessment for learning.
- Ample practice questions, including challenging and data-based questions, nurture higher-order thinking skills and agile minds that are able to apply concepts in novel situations.
Develops 21st century competencies
- A diagnostic checklist for every chapter surfaces flaws in conceptual understanding and promotes self-directed learning by guiding students to the relevant sections for revision.
- Group and online learning activities that require students to evaluate, process and communicate information, foster independent learning, problem-solving, ICT, interpersonal and collaborative skills.
THEME I GENERAL PHYSICS
Chapter 1 Measurement
Chapter 2 Kinematics
Chapter 3 Forces
Chapter 4 Mass, Weight and Density
Chapter 5 Turning Effect of Forces
Chapter 6 Energy, Work and Power
Chapter 7 Pressure
THEME II THERMAL PHYSICS
Chapter 8 Temperature
Chapter 9 Kinetic Model of Matter
Chapter 10 Transfer of Thermal Energy
Chapter 11 Thermal Properties of Matter
THEME III LIGHT, WAVES AND SOUND
Chapter 12 Light
Chapter 13 Waves
Chapter 14 Electromagnetic Waves
Chapter 15 Sound
THEME IV ELECTRICITY AND MAGNETISM
Chapter 16 Static Electricity
Chapter 17 Current Electricity
Chapter 18 D.C. Circuits
Chapter 19 Practical Electricity
Chapter 20 Magnetism
Chapter 21 Electromagnetism
Chapter 22 Electromagnetic Induction
Quick Revision Guide