Common Core Writing Companion
Step-by-step instruction on each aspect of writing addressed in the Common Core State Standards
Common Core Writing Companion offers instruction in all aspects of effective writing as well as practice activities that will help prepare students for Common Core assessments. Writing activities are tied to authentic texts that students read closely and mine for textual evidence as they will be required to do on the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) assessments.
Focused coverage of all writing types
- literary analysis
Prepares students for writing assessments
- students identify and cite textual evidence
- authentic source texts provide assessment simulation
- student models demonstrate steps within the writing process
- rubrics and checklists for each type of writing
- highly-focused instruction and practice will help students meet rigorous standards expectations
Step-by-step lesson structure
- 4 to 7 lessons for each writing type
- Each lesson focuses on a key standards-based skill or concept.
- Multiple activities per lesson enable students to improve their writing skills in small, manageable segments.
Prepare students for writing performance tasks
- Activities are tied to source texts—annotating, analyzing, citing.
- Lessons build to “You Try It”—a model writing performance task.
- Student models illustrate high-quality standards-based expectations.
Support for struggling writers and ELLs
- Gradual Release Model progresses from scaffolded instruction to independent writing performance tasks.
- Step-by-step lesson progression builds competence and confidence.
- Small group and partner activities are provided throughout the lessons.
- Differentiated lesson plans for struggling and advanced writers and ELL suggestions and activities are included.
Extensive, easy-to-use instructional support
- interactive whiteboard lessons
- student models
- checklists and rubrics
- reproducible exercises focusing on common language and style issues
- correlations by standard and lesson
- lesson plans and pacing guides
A Teacher Guide includes rubrics, model essays, and graphic organizers for writing. A Teacher CD includes interactive whiteboard lessons, reproducibles on annotating texts and writing paragraphs with textual evidence, step-by-step writing reproducibles for struggling writers, and further practice on common grammar and style problems.
Have you tried this resource?
Help someone out by sharing your thoughts!Write a review